Pages

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Pancake Day!


how to make pancake day glasgow girls guide personalised nutella


I love celebrations of any kind. Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, Birthdays. Whatever the occasion I love any excuse to celebrate and eat yummy food. Which is why Pancake Day (or Shrove Tuesday) is always celebrated in my house. And this year I didn't just have one serving of pancakes but two.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that but the first version were my go to "healthy pancakes" which meant that by the time it came to the evening serving of pancakes I could really enjoy myself and not worry about indulging.

Also, I needed an excuse to make use of the amazing personalised jar of Nutella I got for Christmas. You just can't get a better present than that!

Anyway back to pancakes, the recipe for both versions are below, enjoy!

'Healthy' Pancakes


how to make healthy pancakes day glasgow girls guide


This recipe will make 4 small pancakes which I would call one serving :-)

Ingredients

1 ripe banana
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
pure maple syrup
0% Fat greek yoghurt
blueberries (or any other fruit)

Method

1) Mash your banana in a bowl. Make sure your banana is ripe otherwise the pancakes won't work as well. You want to get rid of any lumps of banana completely.
2) Add your egg to the mashed banana and mix together. Then add the baking powder, salt and vanilla.
3) Grease a frying pan (I use 1-cal spray) and then spoon your mixture into four little circles. Your pan should only be on a medium heat as these will take a few minutes to be firm enough to flip.
4) Once you see bubble appearing in the top of your pancakes and they are firm enough, flip over and cook for another few minutes on the other side.
5) Once cooked, put onto a plate and then sprinkle with cinnamon and maple syrup. Add a dollop of greek yoghurt and fruit of your choice and then enjoy!

Note: These are also amazing topped with almond butter and a few extra banana slices. 

So now that you have enjoyed those we can move onto the naughtier version. I much prefer fluffy American style pancakes to the thinner crepes that we usually call pancakes here in the UK so whenever I am making pancakes it tends to be American style all the way. I think that maple syrup and crispy bacon is the best topping for these but I know that Nutella and banana are also popular toppings in my house.

how to make healthy pancakes day glasgow girls guide


You can find loads of different recipes for these pancakes online but the recipe I use is below. I can guarantee that these always turn out really well for me.

American Style Pancakes (Makes around 8 large or 16 small)


how to make healthy pancakes day glasgow girls guide

Ingredients

200g Plain Flour
1tbsp Caster Sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
250ml milk (roughly)
30g melted butter (optional but does give a nicer flavour)
Topping of your choice

Method

1) Mix all ingredients together, it really is that simple! 
2) Fry on one side until you see little bubbles in the batter, then flip. Fancy flipping without using a spatula is entirely optional but always lots of fun.
3) I like to keep the pancakes warm in the oven until I have cooked them all.
4) Then top with whatever combination of wonderful things takes your fancy and enjoy!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com